From Japan 1.0

image

Dear Snehmoy,

As you know, I spent days and years even trying to learn Bengali or Hindi for that matter, but tonight I am writing to you with the meaning of your name surrounding my brain. The meaning which you had taught me a long time ago.

I remember the letter in which you spoke about the kites I had sent for you as a goodwill and how you used them all with one of the new members in the family. As you went on describing the festival and its celebration in India, I couldn’t help but imagine you flying kites and enjoying the festive vibes. Oh, how I wished to be present over there!

The Polaroids of yours and your Aunt you had sent me rest on my kitchen wall that shines bright when I slide off the curtains. It amazed me how someone so far away could still brighten up my day so easily, after all these years. Yokohama has treated me well till now and my nephews kept me entertained although they secretly asked my brother why, on some nights, I bled.

Yes, there are some days, when nobody is home, I try and manage to cook a bowl of soup on my own but amidst the city-ness of Yokohama, I get a feeling like there’s nothing like cooking for Mother, constantly on bed rest, serving her in her sickness back in my hometown. It gave me a sense of belonging. Mother did, when she felt better sometimes, ask me of the white bangle I wore every day, twelve months of the year. I had to repeat to her quite a several times where the bangle is from, for she didn’t remember everything anymore. She wished to meet you, but all I had were your pictures. I miss her now that you telephone me sometimes; she would have conversed too.

Snehmoy, has my English language improved over the years? I must give credit to my nephews who make me solve vocabulary puzzles for them while I stay in bed all day. Talking about them makes me realize I am ageing. We are ageing, Snehmoy. Why do airplane tickets have to be so unaffordable?

Another week till this letter reaches you. Another fortnight till I get your letter. Awaiting your words in return.


Yours,

Miyage.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Of Moving Forward- Part II

Some time off

Smokes in the air