Resuming with Pankhudi


Last week, first visit:

After days of only planning to visit and restart with my classroom now after three years, I visit finally in the last week. With little hopes of meeting all of my old students in one place, I still wish I’d meet them all for I’ve missed them so much. When I actually go to the classroom, which is basically an extra room provided by one of the families from the community, I am ecstatic to meet all of them slowly, one by one coming to the classroom as they get to know that their Arundhati Didi has come.

Pankhudi is a non-governmental organization that works towards providing education to the underprivileged kids in a slum in Pune called Patil Estate. This slum is situated in the middle of probably the busiest locality in Pune that is Shivajinagar. However, the slum itself gives birth to a different life that I became a part of back in 2013. I had served there as a full-time volunteer till the middle of 2014.

All of them are just as surprised as I am, meeting after three long years with appearances considerately changed. We all share that curiosity as to what we did in these three years, what new happened and where are we now in life. The students who were once in school are now college students, aware enough about which course to take in order to become something. Patil Estate hasn’t changed a bit. The kids are taller, look older and wiser for their age but nothing else has changed. The classroom is just the same.

We happily scream while talking for we’re just very happy to meet! As I break the news to them regarding restarting the English language class, unsure whether they really need one as they don’t have to take English examination anymore, all of their faces are lit up with excitement with the idea of the class starting again. Their excitement motivates me and assures me that this isn’t a goodbye. Yet.

Yesterday:

I am more than happy to resume, rethink & get a perspective using this classroom as my base, shelter & a place to contemplate together. Today didn’t begin with hard core lessons. Today we spoke with each other, laughing, connecting the dots and completing each other’s sentences for never did we drift apart. I don’t fear with my kids what I feared before today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Of Moving Forward- Part II

Some time off

Smokes in the air